Making Clothes from Patterns
So you know how to use a sewing machine and have made a couple of basic items... now learn to make clothes from commercial dressmaking patterns, fit them to your size and sew up to an expert finish! See Tony talking about his shirt he made on this course in our short video here
People on this course have previously made: a corset, a shirt, 50's style dresses, lots of skirts, from pencil to full to kilt, a fitted top and lots more...
TO BOOK NOW - CLICK HERE
On this comprehensive 5 week Wednesday evening course, we'll take you through the whole process of making men's or women's clothes. You'll learn to..
- measure yourself
- choose a simple pattern
- buy fabric and trims (on the group pattern-buying trip)
- understand what all those little symbols mean
- check and if need be adjust the pattern to fit you
- cut out and sew up your gorgeous finished garment!
If you've been inspired by BBC's The Great British Sewing Bee, then this is the course for you! For full course content click here
- 5 x 2.5 hour Wednesday Evening Classes: Weds 3rd - 31st July 7.00 - 9.30pm £89 and pre-course fabric/pattern shopping trip at Fabric Land, Sat 29 June 11am - 12.30/1pm**
- FULLY BOOKED - 5 x 2.5 hour Wednesday Evening Classes: Weds 29 May -26th June 7.00 - 9.30pm £89 and pre-course fabric/pattern shopping trip at Fabric Land, Sat 18th May 11am-12.30/1pm*
Can't make these dates? Let us know HERE if you want to do this Making Clothes From Patterns course but - we'll get in touch with the next ones shortly. Or below are alternative similar classes that are on every week of the year, in which you will also get tuition how to make clothes from patterns and any other sewing project you can dream up!:
Stitch Weekends on Saturday & Sunday afternoons - Info here
Stitch Mornings on Tuesday and Thursday mornings 10am - Info here
Stitch Evenings on Thursdays 7pm - Info here
**if you cannnot make the date of the pre-course trip you can pop in to the Sewing Lounge some time and we'll measure you and give you the sheet for the trip, and you can go in your own time. Contact us here to arrange this or mention it in the last section of the booking form you go to after you pay.
The Sewing Lounge is situated in Kingsway House, opposite the South end of George St, Hove. It's easy to get to on the bus or on foot from Hove station. You'll be sent full details of getting to us and parking on your booking confirmation.
Venue information for people with limited mobility - click here for information on venue access if you have a disability or injury
We provide sewing machines, which are the same machines they used on the BBC's The Great British Sewing Bee, or you can bring your own.
How to book & pay:
- Please note that once booked, classes, courses and workshops are non-refundable and there are no transfers or reschedules. Check your diary before you book and check you're happy with our full booking terms before you pay - also look at the bottom of the page to see what you need to bring with you
- After you've paid by clicking the 'Pay Now' button below, you'll be automatically sent to a booking form page to book your course/give us your details. You'll then get your receipt from us within 3 days - or sooner if your course starts very soon.
- If you any questions or are having trouble paying via the buttons below, please email us here or call 07958 964810 (leaving a contact name, number and reason for call if you get voicemail) and we will contact you back as soon as possible
Pay here with Paypal or Card then please fill in the booking form you automatically go to afterwards:
July 3rd course:
Pre-course shopping trip**
Meet tutor in Fabric Land on Western Road, Brighton (more or less opposite Argos), to measure up, choose a suitable garment pattern (that you'll achieve in 5 weeks), fabric and 'notions' (zip, thread, interfacing etc). The tutor running the trip will advise you as to what can be achieved in 5 weeks, although you have the option to get something that may take longer and do work at home in between classes and/or in our Stitch Classes after the course
Class at The Sewing Lounge in Hove to learn how to read patterns, measure yourself and the pattern and adjust pattern if necessary, cut out your size, lay up on the fabric, pin, cut out, snip notches and mark with chalk or tailors tacks, ready to sew
Class at The Sewing Lounge in Hove sewing your garment. If you're a speedy gonzales and have any time left over you can practise any other techniques or projects you wish eg button holes, overlocking, different zips etc.
** The pre course buying trip teaches you how to choose a pattern, sizing, fabric and trim choice etc. If you cannot come, please get in touch and we can arrange for you to drop by the Sewing Lounge to get measured up, collect the pre-course checklist to take with you and discuss the sorts of patterns and fabric you'll need to buy before the course starts.
To pre course pattern buying trip: at least £30 cash or your credit card to buy fabric, pattern and notions (you might only spend £15 though - it depends on your taste in fabric and the pattern you choose!)
Weeks 1 - 5: everything you bought at Fabric Land or elsewhere for the course (Pattern, fabric, notions, thread) plus scissors and pins if you have them. We will provide sewing machines unless you prefer to bring your own.