Find The Sewing Lounge
On this page:
- About our classroom 'The Sewing Lounge'
- Find The Sewing Lounge: map, transport, parking
- About Sibel's studio (for private overlocker lessons and industrial machine sewing)
- Hen Party venues
Have questions? Contact us here
The Sewing Lounge is where we hold most* of our classes and courses. It's a peaceful, bright classroom above Moss Bros on Church Road (opposite George St), in central Hove. We're on the main transport route from Brighton or Shoreham and close to Hove station, with lots of shops and cafe's and the beach close by.
Use our brand new Janome 525S sewing machines, Janome overlockers, range of sewing equipment, and get inspired by the project ideas that decorate our walls! Classes and courses hold 5-9 students and each has good sized table or two to themselves. Hand-sewing hen/birthday parties hold up to 15 people.
On Google Maps please search for 'Sew In Brighton, Hove' (not our postcode) for accurate road marker
Sew In Brighton @ The Sewing Lounge, 18 Kingsway House, 134-140 Church Rd, Hove, East Sussex BN3 2DL
Our door is round the back of Moss Bros, on Osborne Villas
If you use what3words Kingsway House front door location is: https://w3w.co/vanish.spoil.month
Please note there are 3 flights of stairs to get up to the classroom so you may want to borrow one of our machines instead of bringing your own - or ask for help carrying yours up: contact us here before you book if you have any accessibility questions or may need help carrying stuff up the stairs. If accessibility is an issue, we do offer 1-2-1 lessons at your home, dependent on location & teacher availablity
Find The Sewing Lounge
- We are in no.18 on the 3rd floor of Kingsway House. The entrance is behind Moss Bros menswear shop down short alley on Osborne Villas, which is on the south side of Church Rd, opposite Barclays Bank & south end of George St (look for the Kingsway House sign)
- Call no.18 on the intercom pad by pressing 1 then 8 then CALL (please try twice in the unlikely case that there’s no answer the first time).
- Teachers will start letting students in anything from 15 to five minutes before a class (depends on parking, traffic & if they were teaching a class just before) so do wait if there is no answer immediately and it's still within those times.
- If there is a problem getting in please first call 01273 900648 (Sewing Lounge classroom number) and then Kat on 07958964810
- We are on the 3rd floor, office 18 - there are loos on the way up
Buses and Parking info for The Sewing Lounge
- Buses: Plenty of buses run up and down Church Road from all areas. We are opposite the South end of George St, and near Hove Town Hall – get off at the South end of George St from buses: 1, 1a, 6, 20x, 49, 49a & get off at Hove Town Hall or Tesco and walk for a couple of minutes from the 2, 5, 25, 46, 8, 700. Check times at: http://www.buses.co.uk/travel
- Train: we are about 10 mins walk from Hove Station – walk in a southerly direction down the hill from station, cross over onto George St (pedestrian shopping street), walk down George St and when you reach the end you will see Moss Bros over the other side of the main road (now see the Finding Us instructions above from there)
- Free parking: Please check parking signs carefully as these could change, we cannot take responsibility for any parking tickets!
- Along Church Road and all roads around The Sewing Lounge are free after 8pm
- After 6pm every day in the disabled parking bays outside Modelo Lounge on Church Rd opposite us
- If have shopping to do you can currently park in Tesco free for up to 3 hours if you spend £5 or more in store. Before driving out of the carpark verify a special parking receipt you received when you shopped at the machine, to avoid a fine. It's monitored with cameras. Please check up to date parking restrictions here before parking as they could change without us realising. Correct at 19.6.21
- Paid parking on the streets: If you are driving please allow at least 20 minutes extra time to park. There are paid spaces until 8pm, free after 8pm - on Osborne Villas and the other roads around The Sewing Lounge with 11 hour spaces - such as Albany Villas, Hova Villas, Hove Place, Medina Vilas (search for 'Sewing Lounge Hove' on google maps). Not all spaces are 11hrs but all these roads have sections with this length of time parking. These are serviced by PayByPhone which has replaced the parking meters in Brighton & Hove (and there is usually one credit card meter per street - you'll need your credit card & your vehicle registration plate number & the time to walk down half a street and back)
- Smart phone users: we recommend pre-registering your credit card & car reg with PayByPhone before you leave the house (and memorise your 3 digit Security Code from the back of your credit card) then it's super quick to pay as you lock up & walk away from your car (no need to leave ticket in car). If you include your mobile number they'll text you a reminder when parking is about to expire
- Non smartphone users options - memorise your car reg and:
1. Meter: find a credit card meter (usually one per street)
2. Shop: go to the nearest PayPoint outlet to get your ticket (the nearest is Four Seasons Food & Wine (Grocery/Deli) 102-104 Church Road (next to Bagelman) - 3/4 mins walk away from the Sewing Lounge)
3. Phone: if you have a phone call Paybyphone on 01273 458458 to arrange your parking once parked
- Local multi storey car park: (update - in Jan 2018 I've been told this car park is often full so try the options above first)
Norton Rd Multi Story opposite Hove Town Hall, 150 metres away towards Brighton. Prices same as on the street parking - approx: £5 for 4 hours, £6.50 for 24 hours plus 25p booking fee if paying by PayByPhone - see details above under 'paid parking meters' - I'm not sure if they still take cash as haven't visited for a while so have your credit card handy and car reg plate number in your head!
Overlocking and Industrial Machine lessons with Sibel are held at Sibel's dressmaking studio. It is an industrial workshop space on Melbourne Street, central Brighton. There is free parking available.
Venues we use for our hen parties
Once you have booked your hen party your confirmation email will tell you which venue you'll be at.
These are our main venues:
The Brighthelm Centre Cafe, North Road,
Brighton, BN1 1YD (on the corner of North Road and Queens Road)
The entrance is down some steps/a ramp down the side of the building just off North Rd next to the traffic lights/junction with Queens Rd.
Parking - There is no free parking at Brighthelm but you can buy a ticket to park in their (small, with limited spaces) car park at reception. The car parking is £10 for the day - sign in at reception, please ring bell on reception wall for assistance. If there is no space there, there is a rather pricey car park next door, or try streets nearby. Allow extra time for parking (at least 20 mins)
Contact details for the Brighthelm are: Telephone: 01273 821 512 Email: [email protected]
Transport - The Brighthelm Centre is a few minutes walk down Queens Road from Brighton Station (head towards the sea!). Map here but note the marker is in the wrong place - The Brighthelm is on the corner of Queens Road and North Road. The No. 7 Bus stops on the corner with Queen’s Rd. Check out bus routes from your location at http://www.buses.co.uk
Access for people with limited mobility - There is full access for wheelchair users via a ramp on the entrance at North Road
The Claremont, Second Avenue
Hove, BN3 2LL
Parking - There is no free parking but there is on-street parking available on the road and surrounding roads for appx. £1.25 hr.
Transport - The Claremont is on Second Ave. Hove, 15mins walk from Hove train station and close several bus routes including number 1/1A, 6, 49 and more (see Brighton Buses website here)
Hen parties are sometimes held at The Cornerstone Community Centre. It's located at the West end of St John the Baptist Church on Palmeira Square (where the flower stall is) and the entrance is via little gates on Church Rd or First Avenue - see Google Maps
- Free parking: There are a few free parking spaces from 6pm on First Avenue and Church Road (check signs)
- Paid parking meters: There are paid parking spaces in the streets around the venue for £1 an hour up to 8pm (free after 8pm) which are either cash or the PayByPhone system. Please allow 15 mins for parking/paying for parking and bring change (meters take 20p, 50p, £1, £2 coins) plus it's worth pre-registering before you leave home for PayByPhone (see below)* in case your meter doesn't accept cash:
1. Pre-register your car registration number and credit card at the PayByPhone website.
2. Find the Location Number Sign nearest to where you've parked and enter this on the site.
3. Confirm by using the Security Code digits on the back of your bank or credit card.
Transport - Cornerstone Community Centre is on a major bus route along Church Road between Hove and Churchill Square, Brighton (buses 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 and 49) and 10 minutes walk from Hove mainline train station. Check out bus routes from your location at http://www.buses.co.uk
Access for people with limited mobility - Cornerstone Community Centre outside ramp and inside lift