Learn to use a sewing machine, cut out and stitch like a pro and make a pair of pyjamas or pyjama shorts to take away! Make a pair for yourself or choose from children's and men's pyjama patterns.
This is a fun project, ideal for beginners to dressmaking, where you can master a range of techniques. If you have never used a sewing machine before we recommend booking 2 classes to learn to sew and make a bag or cushion
. You may be able to start these pj's part way through the second class depending on which bag or cushion you do, your speed, size of class etc etc
Level: Improver and above. Ideal first garment making project
Classes Needed: 2-3 Stitch Classes or 4-5 hours of 1-2-1 Lessons. This project can also be completed on our Ultimate Absolute Beginners Sewing Day workshop
Sewing Machines: We will be providing Janome 525S sewing machines and feet to go with them. We will give you information about where to buy feet for your machine at home
- Learn to set up, thread up and sew seams and edges with a sewing machine (our or yours)
- Learn how to choose the right pattern size for your body measurements
- Laying/cutting out of pattern and fabrics
- Top stitching, hemming and inserting elastic
- Sew up a lovely pair of PJ's to take away
- Take home your pattern and download the sewing instructions to make more at home
What to bring: Note: All fabric needs washing and ironing before class, unless it is 100% polyester or PU/PVC/Olicloth - or the finished item will never be washed. Check fabric content and any washing/ironing instructions when purchasing fabric
Fabric for full length PJ pants:
Fabric for PJ shorts:
- Fabric for childrens pants
- 2.3m (230cm) of 115cm wide soft breathable fabric (cotton, fleece) OR
- 1.4m (140cm) of 160cm wide soft fabric (cotton, fleece)
- Fabric for Adult pants
- 2.6m (250cm) of 115-160cm wide soft fabric (cotton, fleece)
- this is for inside leg up to 75cm - if you are longer in the leg than this, add an extra 15cm fabric for each 5cm extra length you have in the leg over 75cm!
- 1.2m of non stretch cotton fabric, any width (you can bring stretch fabric but it is trickier to sew!)
Bring for either project:
- 1m length of 1-2cm wide ribbon that matches or contrasts with your fabric. Velvet or satin is nice.
- Elastic 1m length, 2-2.5cm wide (black if using dark fabric, white if using light fabric)
- Good quality sewing thread (eg Coats, Moon, Gutermann) x 1 reel matching your fabric
- £1.50 to pay for pattern paper - you'll trace off a pattern to keep
- Bring some PJs you have that fit you (or that you want to be different is also ok as we can use as a guide to make the pair you create bigger or smaller).
- Your glasses, if you need them for close up work.