Learn to Use a Sewing Machine in Stitch Classes or One-to-One Lessons
Learn as you make: Absolute Beginner sewing students
As an absolute beginner to sewing you can choose any of the following options to learn to sew in our Weekly Stitch Classes or One to One Lessons:
- Usual option for most people: Follow our Learn To Use a Sewing Machine beginner sewing programme: 3 Stitch Classes - you learn to thread up and sew with a sewing machine; make a cushion cover or bag then a zipped darted purse (all good intros to clothes making skills). SCROLL DOWN FOR WHAT TO BRING TO CLASS
- Just learn to use a sewing machine: 1 Stitch Class - practise threading and stitches + start cutting out and making a simple item like a bag or cushion, as learning to sew takes just 45-90 mins and classes are 2.5hrs long). SCROLL DOWN FOR WHAT TO BRING TO CLASS
- Block book a bunch of classes and work it out as you go: 6-10 Stitch Classes - bring materials or cash to buy them for your first class & first project only (see project options below) then ask the teacher during your first class to help you what project to move onto next (we have lots of free projects here!), so you can go buy materials in between classes (or you may be able to buy materials from us in early classes/for small projects). SCROLL DOWN FOR WHAT TO BRING TO CLASS
- If you have a certain thing in mind you want to learn to sew: 3-10 Stitch Classes - perhaps you have a business product or gift idea you want to sew or you want to learn specific sewing techniques. We can help work out a custom sewing programme in advance for you to do in class and advise what to bring with you - contact us here and we will help
SCROLL DOWN TO SEE WHAT MATERIALS (OR CASH!) TO BRING TO CLASS
What materials Beginners should bring to class
Sewing machines: we have new Janome sewing machines available for all to use, or bring your own (no need to tell us in advance which you are doing unless you need a hand bringing it up the stairs)
Option 1: buy all materials from us
For the Learn To Use a Sewing Machine programme (learn to sew + cushion or bag + purse) we can provide all materials for £8-£10, so bring £10 cash to class if you would like to buy fabric and trims from us on the day.
Option 2: bring some or all of your own materials
For our guide on where to buy fabrics and trims visit our Fabric Buying page here
FABRIC (WASH & IRON IT BEFORE CLASS) - bring your own or you can buy from us for £5 mtr cash in class. You will need a length of non-stretch medium weight fabric (e.g. printed cotton) any width from 44" (112cm) upwards:-
- a bag needs one metre of fabric 112cm-150cm wide (will also be enough for the purse)
- a 16" square cushion needs half a metre (plus extra 25cm if you are making purse next, or use our free fabric off-cuts for your purse)
- an 18" square cushion needs one metre (will also be enough for the purse)
- a 20" cushion need 1.6 metre (will also be enough for the purse)
OTHER BITS FOR FOR BAG: Straps - for a quick-sew tote bag we have 1 inch wide cotton tape strap material in a few colours that you can buy in class: 50p short straps, £1 long straps, otherwise you can make your own straps (takes extra 30-60 mins) from the remaining fabric above
OTHER BITS FOR PURSE: Zip - a 6” closed end ordinary plastic zip (or buy one from us at class for £1)
FOR ALL PROJECTS:
- a 100 metre reel of good quality thread that blends in well with fabric above
- access to our instructions on how to find us, plus your mobile phone (if you have one) in case of emergency!
Not following our beginner programme? Custom Sewing Projects for Beginners:
If you are a complete beginner and would like to do something other than the programmes or projects we suggest above please email us and we will help you plan your class content and advise what to bring. You could have a look through our Project Page here for ideas
For Groupon / Virgin / Experience Days Voucher Holders:
If you are attending one of our Stitch Classes with a Groupon Voucher to make a cushion or bag all materials are provided free of charge. Please show your Groupon voucher (on phone or printed) to your teacher so they know not to charge you for fabric and trimmings. Bring glasses if you wear them for close-up work
Bring info for all students
- Bring your glasses if you need them for close-up work
- For fabric shop & sewing machine info click here
- Wash your fabric first in the same way you would wash the finished item. Iron it (testing the iron temperature first on a small piece). Cord and denim need to be handwashed, wrung out & dried naturally (not machine spun or tumble dried) as it often creases permanently due to it being a large piece
- We provide, but bring if you prefer to use your own: sewing machines, scissors, pins, chalk and tape measures.
- Students also have access to our Overlocker which is a more advanced separate machine used to neaten fraying edges and sew stretch garments.
- Feel free to bring snacks or drinks into the classroom. We provide a complimentary range of teas, coffee, water and squash
- If you’re still not sure what to bring or have any other questions please contact us for advice.