Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any other dates than on the website for courses?
All course dates available are listed on the website, however most course content can be covered in Stitch Classes, 1-2-1s or if you have a group we can create a workshop for you – contact us to request this. If these options aren't suitable please get in touch and we can let you know when more dates are published for the course you want to do.
If I can't make the course date you have published, what shall I do?
You can cover the content of most courses in a Stitch Class or a 121 lesson. Click here for details of which Stitch Class is the best one for the course content you wish to do. Alternatively you can get in touch with us to request to be updated when future dates are scheduled by filling in the form here
If I miss one class of a set course how can I catch up?
You can purchase a Stitch Class or 1-2-1 and cover the content of the missed class in that class, OR if you let us know in advance you may be able to make your space available to others OR get a free 'catch up' class over the following couple of months - read details of this on our booking terms here
Can I swap my dates / I can't make a class / can I move my booking?
Read all about our terms and your options regarding missed classes on our terms and policy page here
- What are Stitch Classes? General sewing and dressmaking classes where you choose your own project and number of classes AND class dates you attend. Absolute beginners through to experienced clothes-makers attend and get help with a variety of projects. We run 5 classes and week at various times and days including weekend, morning and evening classes. Visit our Stitch Class info and booking page
- Where do classes take place? In our classroom in Hove - full details here
- If I buy 3, 6 or 10 Stitch Class sessions do I do this online by selecting each class? You do this by choosing your first date from here, then follow the process to choose the quantity you want to buy, then pay. You will then have the option to choose all your other dates immediately OR choose them another time - you can pick dates as you go, even on the day, although they do tend to book up fast so advance booking is advisable. Classes booked will come out of your account credit (until they run out and it will prompt you to purchase more if you want to book more class dates)
- What can I make in the classes? Click here for details of what to make in Stitch classes
- When do they run? Details on this page
- How many classes will it take to make things? Info on this page and this page about projects
- What do I need to bring? Info on this page and this page about our beginner programme, projects and what to bring
Am I experienced enough to start making clothes in your classes?
If you have learnt to thread-up and sew basic stitches with a machine and made a simple item e.g. a bag, purse, cushion you can attempt a simple garment eg our A line skirt or a bought pattern in Stitch Classes
Also see Stitch Classes section above
I'm not sure if I'm a beginner, how much experience do I need for this course?
Our Beginner level classes, courses and workshops are for you if you've
- never used a sewing machine at all
- have forgotten or feel nervous around a sewing machine and would like a refresher
I'm not sure if I'm an Improver, how much experience do I need for this course?
Improver level classes and courses are for you if you:
- have used a sewing machine and can do straight stitch, zig zag, thread up, sew to a set seam allowance, wind a bobbin, etc.
- you may have made just one or two items e.g. a cushion or bag (you may have made clothes but not neccessarily). If you have done lots of sewing you can attempt more advanced projects within these courses and classes.
Can I bring my own machine?
You are welcome to bring your own sewing machine. Please be aware that we are on the 3rd floor and there are quite a lot of stairs. We have enough brand new Janome 525s sewing machines for each person in the class, however if you do decide to bring your own we advise you arrive 5 minutes early so your teacher can help you set it up. Email us in advance if you would like the teacher to help you bring your sewing machine up the stairs, and we will arrange for you to arrive 15 mins early for your course or class
What machine should I buy?
At Sew In Brighton we like and use Janome 525s Sewist machines, which are the same machines they used on the BBC's The Great British Sewing Bee! We do, however, recommend going to one of the sewing machine suppliers locally to try out a few different brands and types. Buying locally rather than online also means you can go back for help and advice. For more help, advice and local stockists and repairs click here
Do you do children's courses?
We offer private classes for children and also welcome children into our Stitch Classes if accompanied by a non-paying adult as their dedicated helper.Find out more about our children's sewing options here. If you were interested in your child attending group children's classes, Caroline Gration at The Fashion School in Brighton North Laine runs these.
Do people my age/gender come to your classes?
We have people of all age (including children) and gender come along to our classes to make a variety of things - our classes are for all!
For info on Classes for Children click here
One to one lesson tuition enquiries: We teach privately at The Sewing Lounge in Hove and also from student and teacher houses from time to time. We give you our undivided attention to help you with any sewing or pattern cutting project from learning to use a sewing machine, to soft furnishings to altering/creating dressmaking patterns to fit 'non standard' body shapes, or anything else! Find out more about our 1-2-1 lessons here
If you would like to book a 1-2-1 lesson please contact us here giving an idea of what type of class you are interested in booking ie: what you'd like to learn, any other info. Also say what days and times are good for you. Lessons slots are booked to suit your needs (dates, length of class, learning level etc), so we can get back to you with options.
Hen parties: We run really fun and creative sewing sessions for hen weekends and birthday parties for adults and children. Learn to sew and hand customise your knickers, make fascinators, felt monster toys or beautiful hair/brooch corsages. No previous sewing experience necessary. For more information on hen parties and birthday parties click here
How to redeem a Groupon offer?
You need to book via this page
English is not first language so not sure of how to book on website: You do not need to speak English fluently to come to our classes as the teachers always demonstrate the skills and techniques, however you will need a good understanding of the English language to get the most from your class. Please contact us to arrange to come in and chat about classes if you prefer, before booking
What are Sew In Brighton Loyalty Points?
You can earn loyalty points which can be used to discount your booking by recommending friends or leaving online reviews. Click here for more info on loyalty points
Is your question not answered here or do you have questions about specific course? All details about course content, timings, what to bring are on the relevant course page which can be found here.
If you have any other questions please email us at [email protected] and we'll reply within 1 working day (or sooner). If it's more urgent than that please call Kat on 07958964810 and leave a message if no reply (text is best for a quick response!)